Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Branko Boskovic Q&A

Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Now in his second season with Black-and-Red, D.C. United midfielder Branko Boskovic has been off to a hot start in preseason camp following yesterday's 5-1 victory over Canada's Under-20 side in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. The Montenegrin playmaker had three assists in that contest, and in his first Q&A of the 2011 season, Boskovic discusses his ambitions for the upcoming campaign and his preferred position in United's attack.�

Preseason schedule update: Yesterday's cancelled friendly against Florida International University has been rescheduled for Wednesday, February 9. The Black-and-Red are set to kickoff against FIU at 4:00 p.m. on the training fields of Fort Lauderdale Stadium. The match will be a truncated contest, played over two 30-minute halves. It is also open to the public.�

How are enjoying being back with D.C. United for your second season?

Yeah, everything is good. Everything is perfect, I feel much more comfortable being back [with D.C. United] for my second year in MLS.

It seems like you have settled into camp quickly this year, following your three-assist performance against Canada?s U-20?s?

Yeah, the game was good. The last time I played in the [intrasquad] game last week, I was still getting my legs under me. Yesterday was different, I am starting to feel stronger and the team will continue to get better with more games as we continue to know each other on the field.

How is the feel of this year?s team different than what you experienced in 2010?

I think the atmosphere is much better. We have a better group with more confidence. There are a lot of good guys with experience and potential here. I think we are much better than last year, and we will continue to be better with more games.

Are you personally more comfortable having half a season of MLS experience under your belt?

Last year I was here for five or six months, and it actually felt like quite a long time. I feel more comfortable having that [experience], and I think everything is better in the team this time.

Ben Olsen has been playing you on the left so far in preseason camp.�Do you prefer playing out wide to being in central midfield?

When you have good players around you, the position doesn?t matter. Everybody is involved in the attack - we understand each other. For me the most important thing about my [position] is understanding where everyone is defensively. I am in this place, and I know I need to help the guy behind me, etc. When we play offensively, I don?t think it matters where I play ? I can be on the left or in the middle. We have players like Tino [Quaranta] or Andy who can do many things. When you have good players, good passers, good things happen. We have Dax [McCarty] now, he is very good on the ball, and [Kurt] Morsink likes to play and knows where to give you a good ball. Also, on the right you have Tino [Quaranta] who can give you a good pass, a long pass. Like I say, when you have good players around you, the position really doesn?t matter.

How are you enjoying your first full MLS preseason?

It?s okay ? it?s normal. The time from when we start is the same as European preseason. We start about one month before the first game and I think getting us started a little bit early is smart. We have a lot of new players, and I think Benny [Olsen] and Chad [Asthon] are smart, because we will have time to get to know each other. You cannot make a good team in one day or in one game, we need the time. Hopefully we are lucky and finish preseason fit and without injury ? I think we can have a good team and can have a good start to the [regular] season.

You had Ben Olsen as an Interim Head Coach in 2010. Now that he is in charge of United permanently, how are you enjoying his coaching?

I like Ben?s way very much. A lot of players when they become managers, they change their style, you know? Some [former players] are scared, they want to play defensively for the result, they prefer defense and negative football. I like Ben because he still trains, and I know how he likes to play. Ben likes players to play the way that he did, and he wants guys that will fight. I like that he lets us play.

What are your thoughts about the beginning of the regular season?

I am excited to begin. Like I say, when I first came [to D.C. United] last summer, I knew I was not in the best form or fitness to begin. Now I want to be completely ready for the first game this season. I want to show what I can do, to show people in DC and the fans that I can play here and succeed.

where does yogi bear live who invented baseball who invented basketball who invented football

No comments:

Post a Comment